If you are interested in Blockchain development, this blog will guide you through all the skills that you will require to become a successful blockchain developer.
- Blockchain Technology Overview
- Who is a Blockchain Developer?
- How to become a Blockchain Developer?
- Blockchain Developer Future
First, get an overview of Blockchain technology, and then, move on to know how you can become a successful Blockchain Developer.
Check out this Blockchain tutorial by Intellipaat:
Blockchain Technology Overview
The Blockchain serves as a digital ledger that records all transactions, and these transactions are visible to all the participants in the Blockchain network. Any malicious hacker trying to break into the system will have to change every block in the chain across all distributed versions to do so as every participant has a record of all transactions that occur in the network. If one block in the chain is tampered with, it becomes very obvious and noticeable, which makes it highly secure and immutable.
These blocks contain the following three categories of information:
- Transaction data such as date, time, and amount
- A digital signature for a name to avoid giving out identifying information
- A unique code called hash (an immutable cryptographic signature)
Blockchain technology makes tracking easy for any tangible or intangible asset in a business network. Anything that is of value virtually can be tracked safely and at a cheaper rate on the Blockchain network.
Who is a Blockchain Developer?
Simply put, Blockchain Developer is the one who develops the Blockchain. There are two kinds of Blockchain Developers:
- Core Blockchain Developer: Responsible for designing the security and architecture of a Blockchain system
- Blockchain Software Developer: Uses the core web architecture to create apps, specifically the decentralized applications (Dapps), and web varieties.
Sometimes, in smaller businesses, the same person may fulfill both roles.
Blockchain Developer Responsibilities
Blockchain Developers are responsible for creating innovative solutions with high integrity, command, and control. They are in charge of performing the design, computer system selection, operating architecture integration, development, complex analysis, testing, and debugging.
Blockchain Developers are able to operate on multiple systems and are proficient in one or more programming languages as well as platforms.
Following are some of the typical responsibilities of a Blockchain Developer:
- Design protocols for the Blockchain and the network architecture
- Backend development as per the specific protocols
- Create front-end designs for clients
- Build and monitor smart contracts
Challenges Faced by a Blockchain Developer
- Legacy infrastructure has limitations that make it challenging to meet the expectations essential in a Blockchain development project.
- In Blockchain development, there are processes that require skill sets that are beyond traditional IT development ones.
- Blockchain Developers must understand the practicality of cryptosystems that are decentralized from a technical perspective.
How to become a Blockchain Developer?
If you are completely new to the field and have no prior knowledge of programming and development, you may have to start from scratch. Though it will unroll a long road ahead of you, it is not impossible. Everyone has to start at the bottom before they can reach the top. Try and learn about Blockchain development as much as you can, starting from why it was required in the first place to the future of Blockchain technology.
If you were in a similar or relevant role in an earlier career or have previous knowledge of the domain and programming, you will be easily able to upskill and learn all the essential concepts of Blockchain development. Meanwhile, some companies are adopting Blockchain technology and providing the necessary upskilling opportunities for their employees.
Check out Intellipaat’s Blockchain Developer Course and become a certified Blockchain Developer.
Blockchain Developer Skills
- Software development
- Data structures and algorithms
- Basic cryptography
- Blockchain architecture
- Smart contract development
- Web development
- Peer-to-peer networks
- Experience in open-source projects and large codebases
The Blockchain Essentials Toolkit
- Ethereum, Solidity, Ripple, and Hyperledger
- Mathematical proficiency
- Understanding of algorithms
- C, C++, Python, and Java languages
- Blockchain development tools, such as BaaS, Mist, Solium, Truffle, Geth, Parity, Remix, etc.
- DevOps tools, including Selenium, Jenkins, Travis CI, etc.
- Cloud creation using web apps, Node.js, REST tools, etc.
- Communication with stakeholders from diverse backgrounds
- Open-source software (OSS) programming
- Information science
A technical background is preferred for anyone who aspires to become a Blockchain Developer. Companies mostly lookout for Blockchain professionals who have a bachelor’s degree in computer science or mathematics to start with. Experience with open-source projects and a relevant higher-level degree can make your skills more marketable for any available Blockchain Developer position.
Blockchain Developer Jobs
Now is the perfect time to start a career in the Blockchain domain as many businesses have started adopting it exclusively after successfully passing the testing stage. Tech giants, such as Google, IBM, Microsoft, Amazon, Visa, and Facebook, have already started implementing Blockchain.
- There are 15,000+ job openings listed currently for Blockchain Developers in the United States alone – LinkedIn
- Over 8,000 jobs are available currently for Blockchain Developers in India – LinkedIn
Blockchain Developer Job Description
A typical Blockchain Developer job description looks like this:
- Make the crypto software user-friendly
- Deep understanding of cryptoeconomics
- Experience in Blockchain and distributed ledger technologies and development
- Experience in distributed systems and protocol design
- Familiar with cryptographic principles
- Knowledge of Blockchain architecture, standards/protocols, and private keys
- Knowledge of Wallet RPC calls and JSON responses
- Experienced in developing in AWS, IBM, or any other cloud space
- At least a year of experience with cloud technologies, servers, and CI/CD processes
- Good communication skills
Here are some of the most-asked Blockchain Interview Questions and Answers. Prepare now!
Blockchain Developer Salary
- On average, a Blockchain Developer earns ₹510,000 per year in India – Glassdoor
- In the United States, the average annual income of Blockchain Developers is US$154,550 – ZipRecruiter
Blockchain Developer Future
Blockchain is slowly gaining traction as a disruptive technology, and its demand rose by almost 2,000 percent in 2020 according to experts. Gartner recently reported the following:
- At least one business adopting Blockchain technology will be worth US$10 billion by 2022.
- The business value added by Blockchain will grow over US$360 billion by 2026 and more than US$3.1 trillion by 2030.
The following are expected in the future with Blockchain technology:
- Similar technologies will collaborate with Blockchain and establish a bigger advantage.
- Central bank digital currencies (CBDCs) will gain momentum.
- Fraudulent data sources will be tackled by validation tools.
- More practical and efficient governance models will emerge.
- The next step in interconnectivity will occur.
- There will be wider applications in the finance industry, Cybersecurity, cloud storage, digital advertising, supply chain management, etc.
Thanks to the many invested stakeholders and positive predictions, the challenges in Blockchain should no longer be an issue in the future. Industries adopting Blockchain technology will get the opportunity to present a more transparent, efficient, and secure way of operations.
If you plan to pursue a career, you will get several Blockchain developer opportunities waiting for you in the IT sector, government departments, and the finance sector.
Visit our Blockchain Community and start a discussion on Blockchain development.